Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Second go-around

Monday marked the first day of my second school year teaching at the English Language High School in Ruse. Unlike last year, the weather was really crappy and the brisk fall wind caused the opening ceremonies in the school yard to be rushed so people wouldn't get soaked from the approaching thunderstorm.

After the opening ceremonies, the older students feed dirty carrots and spicy peppers to the incoming 8th graders (this stems from everyone referring to 8th graders as 'bunnies'). It really gets out of hand and makes me want to do something about it. But with all the other teachers laughing about it, i only got involved with the most egregious 'feedings.'

I will be teaching 8th grade students and 9th grade students this year. I know the 10th graders from my classes with them last year; so I know about 60% of the students at the school from my classes and others who have taken it upon themselves to introduce themselves to me.

Also, I am starting a baseball team at my school. I got a hold of some gloves, balls, and a couple bats. Friday is our first practice. If the students show some interest we're gonna try to make a regular thing out of it.

That's about it for now. I really feel at-ease for this second year and I think my experience in the classroom last year will help me with controlling the environment in the classroom this year.

much love->

No comments: