Thursday, April 24, 2008

SPRING BREAK 08!!!

честит рожден ден марк! Big Bro turns 27 today! damn...we're gettin old!

For those of yall (like me until a couple of months ago) who didn't know, Easter is celebrated on different days of the year depending on if you consider yourself a member of a Western Christian Church or an Eastern Christian Church. The Western Church celebrates Easter on the Sunday immediately following the Paschal Full Moon which was the 23rd of March this year(wikipedia says the paschal full moon is simply determined by a 'complex' formula). so if you want more information about this...be less lazy than me and figure it out yourself. The Eastern Church (of which Bulgarian Orthodoxy is included) determines the day they celebrate Easter using the Julian Calendar as opposed to the Gregorian Calendar used by the Western Churches. Bottom line...those of us living in countries with state religions existing under Eastern Orthodoxy get to celebrate Easter twice! This year, Bulgarian Easter is on the 27th of April.

I for one am taking full advantage. After tomorrow, I do not teach until the 7th of May. (yes this school system that is granting us a week and a half off of school for Easter/Labor Day/St. George's Day is the same school system that endured a 6 week strike by its teachers to start the school year) In the meantime, i'm gonna be doing some hardcore relaxing and some hard core hiking.
Saturday, I am going with one of my colleagues from my school to his village and we are going to celebrate Easter with his friends and family there. Then, after I come back to Ruse, I am going to go with a couple friends to the second tallest peak in Bulgaria. It is in the Balkan Mountain Range and everyone I tell says its an amazing place but a really difficult hike...can't wait. After that, I'm gonna see some other PCVs in Veliko Turnovo. Mindy, who was in Kyuestendil with me for the first 3 months, is gonna be there with her family from the states.

Not too long until I get to see mine! (excluding poppa dukes...don't worry dad, we'll say jeez-o-flip a few times in your honor)

hollllllllllller

No comments: